The post-doc will be part of Prof. Sven-Oliver Proksch’s ERC-funded research project MINORITYRULE on “Democracy without Majorities: Political Representation under Minority Rule”. The project’s objective is to provide a systematic comparative analysis of the implications of minority rule for political representation. The project investigates how minority rule affects the intensity of political polarization in parliamentary debates and election campaigns, how the responsiveness of minority governments to public opinion differs from those of majority governments at the national and supranational level, and how citizens evaluate the legitimacy of decisions taken by minority government.
- Take a leading role in work package 1 on political polarization in parliament and election campaigns, including data collection and analysis of parliamentary speeches and social media
- Conduct and publish high-quality research within the context of MINORITYRULE
- Collaborate with other project members
- Provide support for project-related management and administrative tasks
- Participate in the intellectual life of the Cologne Center for Comparative Politics
- A PhD in political science (or close to completion) with a specialization in comparative politics, especially in comparative government, legislative politics, and/or political representation
- Advanced skills in quantitative methods (using R), causal inferen-ce, and computational text-as-data approaches, including natural language processing and machine learning. Additional skills in Python are an asset
- Strong interest and ability to produce high-quality and high-im-pact research, as demonstrated through international peer-revie-wed publications
- Ability to work in a team, and ability to work independently
- Strong command of English. Knowledge of German and other European languages is an asset
Applications should be submitted in English by email (in one pdf-file) to email@example.com and include a motivation letter, CV including publication list, proposal for a postdoctoral project (1 page), transcripts, writing sample, and the names of two references. The reference number is Wiss2102-21. For further information, please contact Prof. Sven-Oliver Proksch (firstname.lastname@example.org). Informal inquiries are welcome.
The application deadline is March 31, 2021.